2/19/09

Surgery Beginning

Valerie and I are in the surgery waiting room, having handed Bobby over to the doctors at 7:30 this morning. We've sat in this room too many times already, but this is the scariest one so far. Today he goes on the heart-lung machine. Today they may have to stop his heart to finish the surgery.

But for now he's just going under anesthetic and having a breathing tube and central line put in place. Then they will do a trans-esophagal echo where they insert a camera through his windpipe down next to his heart. This is just a check to make sure there are no surprises regarding his physiology.

After that's done, they will open up his chest. The APN (advanced practice nurse) will give us updates as we go. The first one will be in about an hour and a half. I'll check in here when she checks in with us.

I learned a lovely prayer this weekend that I keep saying to and for Bobby.

I learn something new each day
Step by step I'm on my way
Thank you God for how I grow
And thank you for the things I know

We're taking a great big scary step today. I trust God will see us all through.

No comments: